View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Dear Community,
I have to inform all of you that we're approaching a critical date for all of us: Nokia is about to stop funding our infrastructure and board and council are busy to establish a new set of servers to run all the bits we need to continue with our daily maemo-life. First impact is on this very forum, which we need to either move to a new server until end of the year, or as a last resort find some 500 bucks to buy one more month of operation on the old one, until we established the move end of January then. There are other expenses the board is facing right now to ensure a smooth continuation of services like repositories, wiki, whatnot else.

So let me start a
fundraiser call for donations
here, asking you to contribute with a donation to keep this community alive.
To give you an idea what we're talking about: a 1000 bucks per month would for sure not be too much to ensure all the infrastructure and professional maintenance, so a twohundered users willing to donate 5 bucks per month on a regular basis would be needed to keep things rolling - unless we manage to find other (commercial) sponsors as well. Though this might happen eventually, we for sure won't find any such sponsor til the end of this year. If you can donate more than those 5 bucks, be assured it's appreciated.

So get your own x-mas present: help keeping tmo alive.

I guess you'll ask now "sure, where can I donate?" - well, wait a little, HF board is about to establish PayPal and other means for that, and I'll edit this post later today to include the links/data.
here's a BROKEN PayPal link Alas it's broken since PayPal can't verify the account (probably the account been registered as NFP, and for those you have to verify the NFP property before you can claim any donations).
Here's a temporary account that works: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...59#post1347859

many thanks for your support
jOERG (councilor)

[update] We finally got a quote for our current infra (VM on xen-grid, basic system maintenance): 1300EUR+2200EUR/month (+VAT). Of course we're trying to do further consolidation and search for alternatives like volunteers for sysops. Just a sidenote to let you know where we are right now and that we didn't exaggerate to the higher values with that initial ballpark figure of needed amount per month.
Oh, and while i'm already editing this: a big thank you to all donators.

latest status as of 2013-09-12: We have sufficient funds in our kitty to ensure hosting of the services. We will use any donations for eventual hardware upgrades (like a third blade, faster switch etc). Funds will NOT get used for new projects, coding competition rewards etc, rather they are strictly bound to maemo.org infra keep-alive (and, in case of donations to my account, for keeping alive the supplementary maemo related community driven infra like backup server etc). There's no immediate danger that maemo.org will vanish from starvation. IPHH is hosting our server free of charge til end of year still, and probably even longer. Thanks to all donors!

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-12 at 13:56.

The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: