View Single Post
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Nokia isn't *pushing* Maemo 6; they are putting the product out there early enough so that developers can get on the ball towards (a) learning Qt, and (b) seeing what is possible and catching bugs before they become show-stoppers. The same thing was done with Maemo 5, and the same thing still across several other platforms.

By the way, if you've not had a chance, check out the roadmap. Things are moving along just as they were said to do *years* ago.
Thanks for the information. I'm just a little frustrated still as, I believe, Nokia should be putting 100% into making killer apps, improving the current Maemo 5 OS, improving the developer tool kits before even really spending the time on Maemo 6. Is Maemo 5 even technically available on a product in the store yet? I'm not sure because I read that the date kept changing and was so turned off by the speculation, set backs, reviews, etc. that there isn't, what I feel is, one cohesive voice.

I tried to rally my friends around the N900, feeling that Maemo is finally moving into the spotlight that it deserved. But they ask questions like, is this program available for it, or that one, etc. The answer is, well, if someone wants to re-compile/update the program, it will work. But, of course, they and the general world wants it to be more turn-key. That's where I feel the time spent on Maemo 6 is being wasted when they can make those apps. Yes, Maemo 6 is important but can't it wait at least a month after the N900 is available?