Thread: Chromecast
View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I've never used miracast, as I don't have any compatilibe devices. Also, it looks quite a bit like a limited version of UPnP/DLNA. Those could also be used to screencast, but more than that, UPnP can act as media servers. The N9 with its built-in Rygel and in combination with PushUp and TweakUp performs admirably in this regard. The screencast is missing though, apparently due to somewhat crappy hardware mpeg4 encoding in the Nokia GStreamer plugin or something.

It seems as if all those companies think they have the superior solution (perhaps they do), or need to have a different name for the standards-based solution. Marketing really seems to hate advertising the support of open standards, because supporting an open standard is an unique selling point or something. Damn those id1ots.

The net effect however are incompatible devices and consumers totally unaware that in fact they do have compatible hardware.

I despise those closed standards. They will vendor-lock you, the support will drop sooner than you want, there will be less compatible devices and it will be more expensive. Don't let marketing believe you otherwise.

Meanwhile, I'll go watch an episode of a certain popular tv-series. An MKV, for which I would have gladly paid if that was even an option, downloaded (which is legel here) using an open protocol, streaming from my open source mediaserver to my TV using UPnP in full 1080p.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: