View Single Post
phr,

This phone has been used for almost a year and it shows in the picture.

For $250 you bought a brand new phone.
For $215 you get a used phone here.

I paid around 500 for this brand new. I was able to use it as a WiFi hotspot for months - to me that made it worth the price of admission.

Prior to this phone I owned an N900 and it was very nutty about charging. Then I got an N9 and found the same thing: it can be particular about phone/cable/charger combinations. I bought 5 car chargers until I found one that worked properly with this phone. I also purchased about about 8 different micro-USB cables, but ultimately, the only reliable cables were the OEM Nokia one that came in the box and a random "Made in China" one. The N9 charges with that cable and that charger 100%, every time, no fuss, perfect fit.

The only other combo that works properly are NewTrent chargers (I own 3 of them) but they MUST use their own OEM cables to charge properly. I enjoy their battery backups and recommend them without reservation.

I asked a question about charging the N9 maybe a month ago and I think the response I got that made sense was that Nokia has a higher standard for charging.

I now own a Canadian Rogers Lumia 900. It hasn't been so picky about chargers, nor has my wife's Lumia 710.

The Lumia 900:

- is always smooth and works quickly,
- has a cruddy WindowsPhone app store,
- has rarely crashed,
- the alarm clock has been reliable,
- has a bad radio compared to the N9 (on T-Mobile I often am stuck on edge where the N9 got 3G)
- was a pain to get a firmware that worked with both MMS and WiFi hotspot (had to go TelCel's FW)
- has a much bigger screen.

I'm trying to give full disclosure b/c I don't want someone to buy this phone and then say, "Oh, I thought it was a brand new phone".

I'm turning 40 this week, my eyes in the past year have gotten steadily and noticeably... older: small screens have become a struggle. Picking up my wife's Lumia 710 has become a chore. My childhood fascination with books and computers, and writing textbooks may have played a role.

Even though I had said for years I'd go iPhone if T-Mo sold them (I've been with T-Mobile for over a decade, since the VoiceStream days), well, the time has come, and now I put the iPhone 5 in my hands and the screen seems too small for my eyes.

So what's it worth? I figure it was worth at least a dollar a day, that's how I came to the price. Is it worth more? Less? I don't know. I got a used Lumia 900 for $220. I figure that it makes one phone for the other pretty much a clean swap for me price wise (if not OS-wise).

$250 seems a hair high for a 16GB, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. $250 could be a night on the town with a date. Heck, I know people that have spent more on concert tickets. To me it's nuts, to them it's worth spending $800/ticket to see Madonna. What do I know? If you got your money's worth out of the N9 as a GPS, a music player a solid cellphone and/or a WiFi hotspot then isn't that good?

Last, I've got three little kids and two jobs. I'm thankful for all that I have but I have limited time and space. I'd like to keep only what I'll use, and while I really like the N9, it's time to move on.

Last edited by N9WB; 2013-04-08 at 06:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N9WB For This Useful Post: