View Single Post
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
The move from 5.1 to 5.2 was a big move. Large changes in the renderer, a totally new JavaScript engine, and a lot of other usual changes.

It took a team of people (let's say, ~2-4 people) some months (let's say six) of work before it was ready for the rest of the company to take a look at it, and unfortunately some rough seas elsewhere in the company meant that it took even longer after that to mature properly (another 3-4 months).

In my opinion, the move to subsequent versions is less drastic, although there is still a (constant) influx of bugs and performance regressions to fight against -- and this together with the tablet development means that there likely isn't going to be a lot of priority to this type of work unless it brings substantial benefits in another area, much as I'd like to see it happen.

When it does happen, I imagine that it is likely to happen a lot more piece-by-piece: QtMultimedia is already being upgraded in a future release because it's needed for some other bits and pieces, for instance.

And to answer the initial question: an LTS release is a very good thing from Sailfish's perspective. It means there's a reasonably solid base that can be focused on (and collaborated on with other people), rather than a constant train of moving targets where Sailfish would either be on the bleeding edge or constantly far behind.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post: