View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, Dan, or why you are choosing this forum to try to accomplish it. Are you sure you're talking to the right people?
You don't know what I'm trying to accomplish? This thread is about Meego coming to the N8x0 series, is it not? As someone that's owned said device for a few years now and watched all sorts of support get dismissed aside (particularly hostile experiences with getting parts or even a reasonable way to get repairs), even the software end of things feels hopeless. I like the device Nokia made but once purchased, it plateaued quickly and then slowly became a downhill experience and the last several months felt like an unstoppable careening downhill plunge.

The point here is that I would like to think that the N8x0 will get a proper update or newer OS, but since there's really nothing usable out there, it's been relegated to hack device with nothing DONE.

I fear that this is yet another attempt to reignite our enthusiasm where the past experiences have managed to sap it away. I would LIKE to at least see that Nokia, TI and other contributing manufacturers of our devices are interested and dedicated enough to actually DELIVER something along with the community, not just relegating us to owning now nearly-useless devices due to outdated software (drivers, kernel, etc.) and frustrating those of us with some more promises of something that will never get finished or at least become useful enough to tell my associates and friends who were stupid enough to follow me and buy one of these devices that YES--you can get this and it DOES make it a useful device!

I've tried Mer. It looked promising and it actually ran. Not well, though. It still felt like it was hacked together with NO repositories or software I could install. Useless for me to recommend to anyone. I feel crestfallen that now things are shifted to Meego and it feels like history is repeating.

What am I trying to accomplish? As a previously-happy-but-now-frustrated device owner, I want to see something come of it. The better question is, what are the Mer/Maemo/Meego folks who're promising things for the N8x0 actually accomplishing?

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Personally I did have very conflicting feelings but ended up with the one saying "They're doing what we wanted them to do and even further". I spent a year and more on Mer and all the things I learnt in there, I can use in MeeGo. Personally and professionally. Now, there's no doubt - MeeGo is the way ahead. We know the future now, before we didn't. Makes for better planning.
It's fine and well to say you learned from the experience, but why didn't you get more help from Nokia or the other manufacturers of the components so that progress could actually be made instead of only ending up with a partially-working operating system? I don't think I can blame you--it sounds like you're doing the RIGHT things, but I am absolutely furious that the hardware, drivers and kernel aren't supported better from the very people who provided this stuff in the first place.

It's at least good to hear you've got a clear idea of a direction to go in. But, I thought we were also pretty clear that Fremantle patching into Mer was the clear way ahead too. **sigh**

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: