View Single Post
1) Skype (ver 1.7.113.22.2) still works

2) www.google.com/gwt/x?u= is a good way to access non-mobile sites. Takes the place of skweezer, etc

3) GPE Calendar/Summary still works with a google public calendar

4) For Contact sharing with MS Outlook/Linux PIM, in Outlook/Linux, export contacts as .csv file. On the N810, install Portabase (or install Portabase on Windows) and import .csv file and map fields, in this order:

Name
Mobile Phone
Business Phone
Home Phone
Business Address
Home Address
Email
Notes

On Portabase, in full screen, this gives just enough room to show the name and three phone numbers. Then tap on the contact for more information

Obviously, there's no syncing, but GPE Contacts takes forever to import .vcf files, nor can the N810 download a google-exported contact.vcf, so a desktop export is fundamental

5) When working on a professional manuscript, smart quotes, em dash, and ellipsis are needed. Abiword 2.8.1-1ea3 will do the smart quotes, and an easy way to have em dash and ellipsis readily available is to edit (I use Midnight Commander in root):

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-44

and find these keys and change them to this:

key <AE11> { [ minus, underscore, emdash, underscore ] };

key <AB09> { [ period, greater, ellipsis, greater ] };

This makes fn-minus give an em dash (when editing the file, make certain there is no space between em and dash) and fn-period give an ellipsis

6) Star Dictionary. The dictionaries/thesaurus are getting harder to find. Here's one link:

http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/dict.org/

For initial set up, this is helpful:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/stardict/

and make certain the dictionaries are un-tarred to their fullest in their specific directories

The forums here are so complete that I never had to ask outright for assistance setting up my N810, but every user brings his/her own needs and the above helped fill mine.

Jake

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jakfish For This Useful Post: