View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
MWKN Weekly News: 2 January 2012

Fragmentation of Nokia N9 resources & community

Thomas Perl has posted a couple of articles on the fragmentation of the Nokia N9 community:

It's really tedious to hunt down information about Harmattan. It's not really MeeGo (and MeeGo Is Dead(tm), anyways) and it's not branded as Maemo, even though it's Maemo. Yeah. It's not really Maemo, but it is. And it's not really MeeGo, but it is branded as such.
The reason why gPodder 3.0.2, which has been released two weeks ago has not yet made it into Ovi Store is not because I was lazy (in fact, I uploaded the .deb on the same day as the release day, i.e. 2011-12-13) but because it took Ovi Store QA one whole week(!) to realize that the gPodder package isn't optified. Guess what? Optification isn't really needed by Harmattan anymore, and the Ovi Store has passed all previous gPodder releases which have been packaged exactly the same. Apparently they decided it's necessary this time.
This matches your editor's experience as well. Unfortunately, there's no easy solution. It's a real opportunity for someone to step up, gather requirements and make a proposal people could get behind.
Read more (thpmaemo.blogspot.com)
Read more (thpmaemo.blogspot.com)

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • Fragmentation of Nokia N9 resources & community
  2. Applications
    • Extending the life of an N8x0: automatic Skype launcher
    • Applications from n9-apps.com can now be installed using Nokia's MeeScan barcode reader
  3. Development
    • Showing custom services in Harmattan contacts app?
  4. Announcements
    • Map plugin for N9 Gallery now available
    • Nokia Pulse (private location sharing service) now available for N9

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: