View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Well, IMO you're swapping reason and effect here. From my point of view, we had difficulties to gain more than five candidates, *because* we're not self-governed entity, = Council doesn't have (almost) any real tools, at least in current approach. Even description of "what Council is meant for" are - most of the times - quite "philosophical", instead of practical.
It's a sound argument, but if there was a league of people waiting to run an empowered self-governing community (and it still isn't clear to me what that is: see later ;-)) where are they?

Having been on the Council and having been the person who came up with the idea, I know what the council can & can't do. There's a lot which can be done; and a lot of it (when done well) is the same drudgerous stuff a legal entity would involve: assigned roles (e.g. chair); regular meetings; careful minuting; openness and transparency.

If there was a league of people waiting to run an empowered self-governing community, where are they in proposing what that is and how it would work? And this needs to be in-depth. It's not a trivial exercise and requires far more documentation, openness, communication and transparency than - frankly - I've ever seen come out of maemo.org (myself included, and before MeeGo finally imploded I wrote this Blueprint).

At the same time, negative "emotions" are thrown on Council every time something isn't as it should be - no matter if Council had chance to change that, or not. Thus, no surprise, that not many people want to take up that volunteer role.
You don't have to tell me. Go and read the vitriolic threads about the Council organising a "takeover" of ITT by maemo.org; when it was ultimately Reggie's decision. Fun times.

The problem is, that You can't be half-virgin, half-pregnant.
Getting pregnant requires someone to step forward and "get things rolling". A wannabe father & mother can't just wait for nine months and go "nope, still not got a baby" ;-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: