View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Hi,

I made the request to have part of my time allocated to MeeGo - we're in the very important bootstrap period of that project, and I want to make sure that the project provides all the hooks required for a vibrant community, that means fighting excessive bureaucracy, getting processes and licensing right, identifying points where communication is insufficient and Linux Foundation, Intel or Nokia people are not providing sufficient information to allow people to see what is and is not being done, etc.

Basically, it's vitally important that we establish a culture where people don't feel that they have to ask for permission to do stuff that's useful to the project, and I am spending a lot of time trying to help make that happen. So I wanted to know if Tero was OK with me billing part of that time, in the context of my agreement with Nokia.
That's all fine and good. But don't be using maemo.org funded time to work on MeeGo. Maemo and MeeGo are both worthy, and MeeGo is the future of the OS. It's natural that people are involved in both

BUT

maemo.org has scarce resources and there was a COMMITMENT that Nokia would continue to pay for maemo.org staff notwithstanding MeeGo. That commitment would be subverted if maemo.org staff were working on MeeGo projects rather than maemo.org. I don't mean to say that people can't work on MeeGo on their own time but it shouldn't be done with time paid for by maemo.org funding.

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Also, if I may say so, I haven't been getting much of an agenda set by the Maemo community in recent months, so it's also reasonable that I ask people (including people who work for Nokia, the council, etc) what I should be working on. See http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/004205.html for an example.
It is unfortunate that Council is not giving good direction at this time, but they are council of maemo.org (not MeeGo). DNeary, I take your action as a responsible way to proactively raise the issue and I thank you for doing that. But even in the absence of direction as to specific projects, these obligations should be clear that work should be done in the maemo.org realm. It seems as though it is now time for Council to fulfill the duties of their position. It is important that these concerns be respected so that maemo and MeeGo are properly treated as complementary rather than competing projects. Please allow some time for the issues that you have been raised to be considered by the maemo.org community.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: