View Single Post
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ New Jersey, USA
I got the White X101 with the 1.66 GHz N455 processor (the original had a 1.33 GHz N435 processor) for $220 on ebay. A little more than the release price of $200, but it was birthday so bought it anyway. Incidentally, I really wanted the brown version, but apparently that's only available in Germany and I was afraid this machine might disappear forever in a week since the demand for a MeeGo device can't be very strong.

I took a quick look at the ASUS apps available, but there was hardly anything there and nothing that struck my interest. It reminded me a lot of the Nokia repository on the N900 before I enable extras. I am sure there is some type of community driven repository, but I haven't looked into it yet. There must be some folks here that are active over at meego.com, right?

As far as booting Ubuntu on the X101, I had no issues at all other than the suspend problem. I used my Ubuntu install on my Macbook Pro to create a USB startup disk with the 64-bit 11.10 iso, had to fiddle with the BIOS a bit on the X101 to get it to boot from the USB, then the installation to the MicroSD went without a hitch. It also gave me the option to install alongside MeeGo on the same internal 8GB SSD, so I am trying that out now to see if it helps with the suspend problem. But running from the MicroSD seemed to be just as fast as running MeeGo from the internal SSD. I am using a Class 10 8GB MicroSD card, though, so that might make a difference - this was originally going to be my Nitdroid card for the N900, so if Ubuntu runs well on the dual-boot internal SSD I may reclaim it.

I think the suspend problem should be fixable, but it was not consistent. In one case, I closed the lid without doing anything, then when I opened the lid it restarted (either from shutdown or logout - I'm not sure). The second time, I chose "Suspend" from the system menu on the right and then closed the lid. When I started it back up, the Ubuntu filesystem was read-only. I am thinking this may have something to do with the MicroSD reader not coming back from suspend properly.

So the Ubuntu installer just crashed - not enough disk space on the partitioned system. I may need to wipe MeeGo earlier than I expected...