View Single Post
Following up late here; I don't think I've been in this forum since February.

Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
You don't have DT installed? We thought it was ASUI or DT causing the problem.
I do have DT installed.

I see that I have alarmd ("Alarm Dispatcher") disabled under ASUI Settings | Services. I still have to restart MCE on reboot, so the answer to my question in #121 is NO: disabling alarmd does not fix the MCE restart and related issues.

Anyway: the N800 has dropped to fourth place in my devices. I still use it as the remote controller to MediaMonkey on my PC, via Tear and a MM webserver extension that I wrote. Other than that, it gets no use: I bought an iPod nano; better than Canola in almost every way, except scrobbling.

And then three weeks ago, I bought a Galaxy Tab S (7") which is the tablet I now bring to work with me and use when I'm on the couch. I have to say, a vibrant software ecosystem is a lot more fun than dealing with "community" software. I mean, I very much appreciated ASUI, DT, and the CSSU, but they didn't quite solve all the problems and required lots of fiddling (such as the MCE restart, which actually takes three steps before the NIT is following my prefs).

The Tab isn't perfect but, essentially, It Just Works. WiFi management is much better; power management is much better; of course the CPU and graphics are more powerful; and it has apps. Many, many apps. Free ones that are much nicer than any software I had on the NIT.

But I wanted apps. Despite its potential, Canola was dead in the water. UPnP players were mediocre. Mail clients sucked. I am bidding adieu to the whole Maemo thing. Best of luck to you die-hards.