View Single Post
The other suggestion that has been raised is to ditch Gecko completly and use webkit instead (since that still has suitable GTK bindings).
To make that happen and still support the stock stuff, the following things would need to be done:
1.Replace gecko/microb-engine/microb-eal/browser-eal and related packages with webkit (including possibly tablet-browser-daemon)
2.Identify any "special features" in the microb-engine code that webkit doesn't have (e.g. I know microb has a feature where phone numbers on some web pages are highlighted and you can click them to dial them) and support them in webkit
3.Ensure we support whichever bits of npapi are needed by adobe-flashplayer, tablet-browser-default-plugin and tablet-browser-mediaplayer-plugin.
4.Clone/replace libssoautologin and microb-geolocation and make something that works with the new browser engine
5.Handle nokia-maps. This could be done by retaining Gecko/browser-eal/microb-eal for nokia-maps (nokia-maps is the only thing that talks to those libs directly instead of using tablet-browser-daemon as far as I know) or this could be done by cloning and replacing bits of nokia-maps that are tied to Gecko
6.Ensure that tutorial-home-applet, microb UI and rtcom-messaging-api continue to work including any HTML/JS/etc used by these apps.
and 7.Dealing with anything else I missed that is tied to browser (modest I think uses it but that's FOSS so porting it should be possible)

Mostly I am saying that having a modern less-bug-ridden more-secure browser engine on the N900 (and Neo900) would be a good thing, whether that be Gecko, Webkit or otherwise and I am throwing out ideas so we can see which way is the easiest way to achieve that goal and what work might be required for it.

Last edited by jonwil; 2014-11-03 at 21:58.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post: