View Single Post
I've given up advocating the cell phone "companion device" (aka lower cost tablet) idea. It appears that established power bases (read: the Symbian and S40 groups) within Nokia fear the Linux-based newcomer so the driveless train rolls on based on the un-market-driven needs of those older groups, now deemed to be low and mid-range products.

Affordable companion tablet using (and growing) Maemo would apparently step on their new territories, although in reality the more mature and capable companion tablets would most likely help the sales of their less smart handsets!

I'd like an updated tablet to accompany my mid-range Nokia phone; and lot of people who have admired my now-defunct N800 might do likewise. Now if they wish to enjoy the live internet goodness they'll end up buying a bloody ipod, or one of the more mainstream Android phones, a market where there's actual competition and momentum (more obscure technical details aside).

Without a modern tablet I'll probably end up eventually getting a mid-range Android device too. At least that camp is flogging their wares like there's no tomorrow instead of intentionally limiting the choice of hardware (and as a consequence software) like Nokia does.

From GSMarena/Nokia:

Nokia maintains that Symbian is their smartphone platform of choice, keeping Maemo to high-end "mobile computers". S40 is here to stay as well according to Nokia's strategy - multiple platforms to cover all the market segments for mobile phones, instead of stretching one platform from the low end to the high end.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post: