View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
AFAIK, the delay caused by TRIM is indeed the reason that distributions like Ubuntu by default schedule a fstrim once a week. On the JP1, a btrfs balance is also scheduled to run once a week (Tue 3:00, in /lib/systemd/system/btrfs-balancer.timer). Running a fstrim afterwards would be ideal, I guess. Well, it seems it was scheduled, as the timer is now disabled?!

But I thought fstrim wasn't available on Sailfish. I was wrong, it is available, in /sbin/fstrim, it just isn't in the path. So screw it, I did a btrfs balance and I ran fstrim afterwards:

Code:
[root@Sailfish nemo]# /sbin/fstrim -a -v
/opt/alien/media/sdcard/1d87f0ae-05cb-4eb5-a04a-c0a7e0455980: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed
/opt/alien/home: 115.9 MiB (121470976 bytes) trimmed
/drm: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed
/persist: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed
/var/systemlog: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed
/: 115.9 MiB (121470976 bytes) trimmed
Actually I ran it before, but forgot the -v Either way, it was quick: seconds, which is much faster than on the OCZ Vertex 3 and 4 I have here. And when I run it again and again, it always claims 115.9MiB are trimmed.

So, I can't tell whether or not it does something useful. And whether it helps with the occasional temporary freeze I have remains to be seen. But it seems it doesn't break things, as far as I can tell yet anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: