View Single Post
This 'news' sounds like opportunist PR to undermine Meego to me.

At a recent Intel AppUp event a developer told me Intel had told him they were looking to get 25% of their revenue from the AppUp stores in the next few years. I thought this was a bit unlikely but it seemed consistent with their marketing. An internal goal like this would show they were ambitious about their stores and that includes selling apps on embedded Meego devices as well as programs for Windows machines, but this new 'announcement' doesn't seem consistent with this (alleged) long term goal.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is that Intel is likely to have done a lot of business analysis before pointing their supertanker down the Meego route. I'm convinced there is a lot of pent-up demand from developers with low budgets (all the good developers would have started in a bedroom somewhere) for a low overhead, less restrictive, standardised, mobile platform. I suspect such a platform will be available one day it's just a matter of how long and who cracks the nut. Whoever persists is likely to be the one that gets the early adopter advantages. All of which are arguments I believe Intel would have seen as crucial in going the meego route.

In short I suspect this story was planted by PR company working for a big firm. Their sales staff probably need to bolster their position before some big negotiations take place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yaln For This Useful Post: