View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I'd be shocked if it's not hugely more open than Sailfish / the Jolla, re: availability of sources and ease of finding them ... and would seem that will very probably be the case if responses are to be believed. Development is conducted more or less completely in the open, also, unlike Sailfish.

As stskeeps rightly observes, his comments are like throwing stones in a glass house ... or in my view like pissing into the wind. Maybe frustration with situation at Jolla?
Nah. Getting GPL compliance right with a mobile device is a horrible mess. You need to provide exactly the sources utilized in the system image the user uses. Mediatek kernels are horrible when it comes to GPL compliance. When Android is in the mix (hw adaptation), it becomes even more fun*

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resou...nce-guide.html

If you are already having to ask where sources are, there's a problem. Pointing to a git repository isn't enough for a binary deliverable.

EDIT: And for good measure: I mention 'stones in a glasshouse' this because nobody is doing this stuff perfectly. Shipping DVDs with source code (as really is one of the options) is nowhere perfect, may have flaws. But I really hope for their sake they have their legal checks right -- it can stop shipments right in the spot.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2015-02-10 at 11:25.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: