View Single Post
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
1. Where do you see maemo.org in 1 year? In 5 years?
In the short term, maemo.org needs to be able to provide services to Maemo users and this should continue to be the focus for the coming year. However, I'd also like to see maemo.org pick up some of the slack Nokia is letting out with Harmattan support (even though Harmattan assets are not part of the agreements with Nokia).

I'd hope that there might be increasing activity around Jolla (or something like it) in maemo.org over the next year, but movement in that direction must be organic and does not come from dictates or secret negotiations by the board.

It is difficult to predict where maemo.org might be in 5 years, but if there is still demand for maemo.org's services for Maemo users, I expect to see it providing it.

I'd hate to see maemo.org dwindle with the waning of the Maemo Community and would love to see renewed enthusiasm around new mobile open source ventures (whatever they may be), but the board's role is not to force a direction, merely to support the organic growth of the community.

2. What do see you as the primary role for the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors?
The Hildon Foundation exists to provide the legal and organizational support to ensure that maemo.org can operate as an independent entity. The board is there to check the legal boxes to allow donations to be collected, the infrastructure to be supported, and the council and support staff to do their jobs. It exists to support the community, rather than try to set directions for them.

3. How do you envision the relationship between the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors and the Hildon Foundation Council/Maemo Community Council?
The council and the board should operate closely. At least one member of each body should be attending each of the other's meetings. Both bodies should be informed of the relevant bits of the other's private email discussions (where NDAs or other sensitive subjects are involved) where possible.

The council is the representative body for the Maemo Community. The board exists to support the council in its role, offering advisement and fulfilling legal requirements.

4. Are you able to attend board meetings at least monthly?
The nature of my employment makes it nearly impossible to attend meetings at work, but I can definitely schedule around it.

5. Do you own a Maemo device? do you (regularly) use a Maemo device? Are you at all interested in Maemo and its community? (from reinob)
I own a whole stack of Maemo devices (2x 770, 2x N800, 4x N900, 1x N950). I do not use any of them regularly anymore as I'm currently using a BlackBerry Z10 as my primary mobile device. I'm planning on buying a Jolla device whenever they happen to ship, however.

The Maemo community introduced me to Linux and maemo.org is where I cut my teeth in open source. I've made many friends in this community (and a few enemies ), learned skills, discovered my love of writing, and had awesome adventures in far-away places. There will always been a special place in my heart for Maemo and its community. Why else would anybody run for this position? :P

6. What kind of collaboration do you expect to see from Nokia, to ensure survival of the most important assets?(from vivainio)
Expect? None. Most of the people with expertise or association with maemo.org seem to have moved on.

I'd like to see some assistance from Nokia in chasing down any loose ends leftover from Nemein's maintenance and handover contracts (given the state that maemo.org was handed over to the community in, I'm not sure the terms of the contract were fulfilled).

More generally, more assistance from Nokia in providing assistance in maemo.org-related discussions where a bunch-of-people-on-the-internet lack the leverage (like the Nemein issues).

I'd also like to explore options for maemo.org to take on supporting Harmattan assets if Nokia is just going to jettison them out of the airlock.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: