View Single Post
Hi All!

I have the usual problem with the microUSB and I've read this thread front-to-back. I tried re-soldering it back and tried soldering a new one but to no avail.
Long story short: is there anyone here from the UK that could take the device in for the repair? Alternatively, I would need some detailed instructions because it seems I'm doing something wrong.

I've tortured the original microUSB till 2 pins fell off and the interior plastic got charred. Bought a new micro USB and tried the cables method. All went well up until I had to solder the base (shielding) to the mainboard. Firstly, couldn't get the MB pads tinned. When I succeeded I couldn't re-melt the tin blobs again. Seems to me my iron is too weak (15W) and the heat just escapes through the copper of the mainboard.
I still have the D+, D- and Batt+ pads intact (so there's still hope). Also my phone boots up and works properly (once assebled back).
Now, if some soldering guru that got his phone fixed could answer the following questions I might still give another try to re-soldering the USB myself.
1. How did you remove the metal shield that restricts access to the microUSB pins? Even if you unsolder part of it, there's no way to get behind it - between two adjacent shields.
2. What soldering iron did you use? Brand and power. (as mentioned, I've tried a 15W Toolcraft with needle tip but it's still too damn fat to fit between USB and shielding and too damn cold (I guess) to solder surface-mounted contacts).
3. What tip did the soldering iron have? I've seen someone here showing a jig made out of wire that he got around his usual soldering iron tip. I tried something similar (by holding a regular sewing needle attached to the iron tip) but the heat transfer was awful.
4. As a far fetched alternative, I'm also thinking of buying a used n900, hopefully with a damaged screen. Since I can't back up the phone the usual way, might it be possible to unsolder it's internal MMC and swap it into another phone?