View Single Post
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
A well written article thanks for that.

To be honest I had my N800 shipped from the UK to us here in NZ (as we always seem to get forgotten about with new tech) and pretty well have used it exactly as described in the article.

As an example - we had a family holiday in Brisbane during May. My parents flew in from the UK armed with screeds of paperwork and travel guides - armed to the teeth with information.

On the flipside we spent about four hour on the computer at home finding out what and where we wanted to go.

Downloaded and PDF's websites, guides and the like.

Fired up MaemoMapper and pulled in Level 0 - 6 maps for that part of Queensland.

Stuck in a few POI's of shops we wanted to visit and generally got ourselves armed.

Off we flew with ALL our travel guide information sitting on an 8Gb card along with a pile of movies and music to keep the 5 year old happy in flight.

It was a risk (thankfully before the dodgy firmware SDHC issue) and had the N800 gone astray or packed in we would have had to resort to begging the olds for help.

But it didn't. In fact the N800 became a travel guide like no other I've used. It bailed us out of getting lost a few times by firing up the BT GPS.