View Single Post
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I think, right now, I'd only be interested in an N900 if:

1) it had the same look/format as the black N97, only with a 5 row keyboard that has the ergonomic feel of the G1 or E71, and the same screen and device size as the N810,

2) it had full phone and SMS/MMS capability, in addition to GRPS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA data capability,

3) it had a port of Dalvik for running Android apps, perhaps even using Dalvik for the the phone/SMS/MMS interface (I really like Android in that regard) ... HOWEVER, I wouldn't just want Android -- I want Maemo as the linux layer.

4) it had video out (pref. micro-DVI-I), (actually, I typed all of the rest of this out already, so I'm not going to re-number it, but this one is optional for the pocketable device, as long as it has a decent VNC server and port-forwarding SSH client; but the micro-DVI-I, or something that can do HDMI, DVI, and VGA, are mandatory or the "medium device" I describe below)

5) charge via USB-client,

6) SyncML clients for Contacts and Calendar, and kept the Dalvik contacts/calendar in sync with the maemo contacts (and hopefully calendar), preferably implementing them in a unified way (1 database for contacts, not separate databases between maemo and dalvik; 1 database for calendar, not separate databases between maemo and dalvik)

7) Tethering (as the phone, not the client): Wifi, BT DUN, BT PAN, _AND_ (not or) USB ... preferably with the USB tethering being compatible with Cradlepoint routers. So, in addition to using it as my pocketable, I can also share its net connection with my larger devices,

8) 1 or 2 microSDHC slots.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my G1 for now, and use a Netbook or UMPC as my medium device. (my ideal medium device would be similar to the above, only without the phone/txt capabilities, PCI Express Mini Card slot for optional 3G or other features, 1 or 2 full size SDHC card slots, internal flash storage in the 16GB to 32GB range, 1GB - 2GB of RAM, 7"-8" screen, and a format like the Fujitsu U810 or Samsung Q1 Ultra (only, 5 keyboard rows on the Q1 format) ... the size of the Raon Everun Digital Note is perfect, but it lacks the convertible tablet format, and its linux version lacks built-in wireless (not even wifi nor BT, you have to use a dongle) ... it'd be nice if it had better battery life, too).

I think it would actually be kind of nice to have an Android or Maemo+Dalvik phone and a Maemo UMPC (or Maemo convertible-tablet-netbook). But, I think I'm out of the "NIT/MID that isn't a phone" market. My phone-less device needs to be in the size category between phone/NIT/MID and 12"/13"/15"+ laptop, and my pocketable device needs to be a phone that has at least Android capabilities, if not fully usable linux in addition to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post: