View Single Post
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Sick of this recurring illness now.

Updated my VBox installation earlier and my Debian VM in the hope that I can resume work on this again very soon. I noticed in the fremantle-gtk2 repo that you have removed the GTK module and opted for a forked GTK instead. Were you hitting a roadblock/problem with the module method?
Definitely, too much stuff in those private structs needs to be accessed, esp for GtkTreeView/GtkIconView (but not only), it will become an unmanageable mess at some point if I have to LD_PRELOAD almost all exported GTK functions, while copying all of the GTK code. So we had a discussion with Wizzup and parazyd (the guys that I am expecting to create devuan-maemo repo) and we decided that GTK fork is the only sane option.

In terms of GTK3, I know the module method will not guarantee 100% compatibility with the existing Hildon API. GtkIMContext related code, as previously mentioned, is a no go due to being unable to access the context.
This leaves me with a few choices, do I keep as much API in tact as possible or ditch compatibility like in my original attempt and create a cut down or API incompatible library (like with GTK2 and 3), following the deprecation messages left by the original devs.
The biggest problem I see is with GtkTreeView and GtkIconView code, they are heavily patched in maemo to bring the beauty of those widgets there and to provide touch support. On the other hand it might be that it will be easier in GTK3 as aiui it has touch support already implemented.

Making API incompatible library will somehow make the effort pointless IMO, as there will be no code that will compile without major rewrite. On the other hand it is inevitable because of GTK2/3 incompatibilities. Dunno.

Another option would be to suspend work on hildon-desktop GTK3 and instead add GTK3 support to the fremantle-gtk2 environment.
I am not sure I understand what you mean, could you elaborate.

On a side note - I am having very big problems with hildonfm - it turns out I have to rewrite it almost fully to be compatible with gio. What I have done so far is maybe 30% of the needed changes. But...

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: