View Single Post
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Is it? I thought that at least some of this time (maybe most?) was spent booting from the Flash memory regardless of whether the final OS came from Flash or MMC.
When the blue bar is shown first it is already booting from mmc for some time. Right after you see the 'booting from mmc2 ..." message or similar, the mmc card is mounted and boot continues there.

The (almost 2x) speedup was visible with 770 with hacked kernel with faster MMC. With N8x0 mmc is faster too but so is CPU so the jffs2 (de)compression is faster too and boot speed from SD is only slightly faster. But still the CPU usage with jffs2 is much higher, reading from MMC is almost free (CPU-wise), reading from jffs2 needs CPU a lot. Of course this bonus effect is visible only if CPU already does something.

As others said - speed is not the primary reason for mmc boot, more space and possibility or easier backup is.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.