View Single Post
Originally Posted by danielpublic View Post
I had this problem as well, that the N900 default code did not work.
Guess its due to the fact I bought it second hand.

Anyway, this is what I did and you should do in five steps!

1: First of all, we need to get into the device. Lets ssh into it!
Install the ssh's client and server. Now ssh into it with a ssh client for your OS. The user to use is: root

2: Now you should be inside your N900 device, once there we want to get the so called DES hash of the password.

Code:
echo root:$(grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1|tail -1):
Now you get a output something like this:
root:63NCRYqE75Us0:

3: Copy the output and put it in a file on your computer, named: old_maemo_lock_code

4: Make a search for John the ripper and install it.

5: Open up a terminal and write:
Code:
john -format:DES -i:digits /path/to/old_maemo_lock_code
There, now just wait 5-10 minutes
Thanks to however wrote the post with grep part above!
Hi All, Sorry for asking, but.....
My N900 had the USB HW failure. I got a new phone from Nokia, and after restoring the backup, I forgot the lock code. When I tried danielpublic's solution above, I had multiple problems: The SCP ssh client is loaded only on my computer. It asks for a Host name before attempting to connect. What is the host name to use?

I decided maybe I need to flash the FW, to get a SSH client on the phone first... The flasher-3.5 asks for permossion to continu when I run it from teh cmd prompt, but ten after a brief fleah of another cmd screen,does nothing.....

I then tried the Nokia SW updater (even though since the phone just came from Nokia and likely has the latest FW) but it could not even connect, even though the computer sees the phone as a USB device and even opens up the phone in explorer.

My questions:
1. Is there a way to get the lock code from the phone backup?
2. Do you need to have the ssh client on the phone to use the above method?
3. What could cause the flasher to not run the flash? I was expecting some indcation that the flash was proceeding.