View Single Post
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Now I'm not able to reproduce it. Seems to be totally random.

Anyway, considering the low amount of similar reports I think it must be a combination of different pieces of software.

Now back to preenv,. it's strange that it seems not to work any more. I can run WebOS games from WebOS Game Manager application but not from the command line using preenv. After executing preenv, trying to run any executable fails with a can't locate any of the SDL libraries.

I have even reinstalled preenv with no luck, so I wonder if this is not working due to Busybox Power managing something related with environment variables different than standard Busybox.

I have yet to test if uninstalling Busybox Power results in preenv working again. In the meantime, has anyone tried to run preenv from the command line and execute a WebOS game with Busybox Power?
Confirmed. Ade's right about the issue causing this.
I'm leaning towards reverting the whole SUID-situation to how things were with busybox-power 1.19.3power1 (that is: no SUID bit and no workaround patch at all). Being able to run ping, su, etc. as a non-privileged user seems to be not worth the effort and the risk of breaking applications like preenv (there may be other applications getting broken that we're not aware of).

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Enhanced BusyBox shell 1.19.3power4 is suitable for promotion to Extras. Did you receive the message from Autobuilder?
Yep, just read the message. However, I'm having second thoughts on promoting it to extras. As much as I hate to basically discard the hard-won thumbs-up (three months of voting), breaking an application like preenv outbalances the features of 1.19.3power4 over 1.19.3power1 (which is currently in extras).

I'll very most likely push out a new busybox-power version this weekend with the whole SUID-situation reversed, and promote that version to extras-testing. I know, it's a real shame of the thumbs-up, but I think this is the best thing to do. My apologies to all the testers, I hope y'all understand.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post: