View Single Post
In recognize in RogerS's post the hope the get to the "ultimate" device, the perfect one that will suit all needs, all kind of usage, all expectations.
Personnally, I'm convinced we will just never get to that point. Just as there is a huge variety of human communities and cultures, or even more, just as there are billions of individuals on earth, you obviously ends up with thousands or millions of different expectations, habits, .... And therefore, looking back at portable internet devices or assimilated technologies, you will always have to provide a multitude of variations in order to target all of these human expectations or needs (or, to be more honnest, industry-created needs).

I own myself a home computer, a laptop, a Nokia N95, a N810 and an Apple iPod Touch. To some extend, all of these technologies are overlapping, however each one is serving a different purpose depending on where I am, what I want to do and how I want to do it. I don't expected the whole world population to adopt my consumeristic approach. It's just that I've studied computer science, I work in computer science, and I love computer science and that the devices I own today are fitting my today's usage pattern. Android might change it a bit later on, any new technology will anyway. There's is no final and definitive pattern.

As ARJWright pointed out, anyway all of this devices as just part of the "revolution". There are just the windows to look at a garden, and just as they is a multitude of different windows, there is also a multitude of different gardens.

If you missed this article, please look for Wired's July release and do read the article about Android (if you don't have it, have a look on mygazines.com). You can make the most beautiful and perfect device, if the data carriers are not changing their behaviour and don't accept a business model change that they may perceive as hurting their benefits, if developpers don't adopt your platform, if..., if..., if..., then this is all just another rock thrown in the water.

Back to improving the N810, I really don't care it doesn't have a SIM slot. I do always have my N95 in my pocket, so if my N810 needs internet access and finds no Wifi it'll use my phone. My iPod Touch can do the same, as my N95 can also be turned into a Wifi hotspot (but I prefer a Bluetooth radio in my pocket, near my <censored> rather then a Wifi radio - I still may want to have a 3rd child). That's what I like : combinaison of technologies, the one being able to use the other when I need a new approach = the LEGO approach. What matters most, is that users of the NIT who are finding ways or ideas to improve it (of course matched to their own personnal expectations) can somehow influence the future development of it (thru forums, congress, sites like this one,...). I expect the same from iPod Touch users, and the same from N95 users.

Any time that is lost is discussions about what platform or device is best and why others who don't understand it are stupid is so much a waste of time and a neglection of the world's human variety. I don't want a uniform world.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moom For This Useful Post: