Thread: Amazon Kindle
View Single Post
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Is there a way to take Amazon's ebook content and read it on Maemo?
Yes, for the N8x0. (770's SOL on this one.)
Point the webcam at the Kindle, take pictures, look at them later.
I have no information on this, but I highly doubt it will work any other way than camera or slightly more sophisticated framebuffer grabs. (For a few months, then someone may break it.)

WRT EVDO, slow RTT, who cares? eink screens update slow enough that that will be much less problematic.

I hate saying this, since I really want to love (and get) an e-ink device, but I don't really see the point of the Kindle, unless you really need some titles that are only available through Amazon.
The XO-1 seems to be better, and BOGO for the same price. The 1200x900 hybrid reflective/transmissive screen should be great for ebooks. Not quite as good of contrast as e-ink, and slightly more power consumption, but I think the higher resolution is key. Plus fast page changes, and even scrolling down rather than page changes, so you read more in a given time period.
And the XO is better for other tasks. If you're paying $400 for an e-book reader that browses and emails, you may as well get one that does it well.
The N800, of course, is also awesome for ebooks. But the screen is probably a little small (physically, not pixels) if that's your primary use, plus not daylight-friendly. And the battery life, while awesome, is not quite all-day power (in my usage pattern).
If I needed a dedicated eBook reader though, I'd jump for the XO before this. Hopefully Amazon doesn't scrap it though, and makes a Kindle 2 later. That'll be a real device, and I'll probably get one.