View Single Post
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
I've just finished playing around with the system for about an hour and here are my first thoughts (I hope I'm not redundant):
- It installs very well on the N900 and it seems stable (I didn't have any crashes). It is somewhat slow but that's to be expected. I personally installed it directly on the N900 internal memory.
- Keyboard issue - Please keep in mind that I have a french azerty keyboard (no up & down arrow keys) so it may be responsible for the problems I've encountered. It was mentioned that the keyboard was one of the main "show stopper" issues currently being worked on and I can confirm. Even though the keyboard seems to function when openoffice is launched directly from the N900 menu, it doesn't work when LXDE is launched. There is a virtual keyboard but that really doesn't work very well especially since the N900 has a physical keyboard.
- The menu fonts are very large compared to the application fonts and often make the menus bleed into the regular application space
- The windows selection - ( _ and X at the top right-hand corner of every window to make it full screen, reduce and close) are very difficult to use because they are very small and the cursor seems to track poorly (when I use the stylus to point, the cursor lands systematically above it just enough to make it difficult to close windows etc.)
- Aesthetics (not very important) - it would be nice to have some pictures for the icons in the launch menu of the N900 to know what each icon does.

Besides that, it seems very stable for an early release and I must say WOW! I got an N900 because I figured it would be close to the linux OS (I've been using linux for 15 years when it was still in beta) and this application really makes me happy I got the device.
Thanks Qole for all your hard work - hats off!
Please let me know if you want us to test specific things.

-=AC=-