View Single Post
Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
instead of reinvent the well when coming to store app contents, wallpapers etc...

bodega server/client is fully open source ofcourse and I would not be suprised if Jolla will use this also...
tl;dr: Bodega have one fatal disadvantage: Not Invented Here

I did a quick look at this, and it's api and see, that it's more like opensource google play market platform or it's more like Ubuntu Software Center, but for KDE

Personally, i dont think that jolla will use that or even cooperate with it. KDE/Mer will, maybe. Any vendor prefer vendor lock over cooperation. it's business, you need to show revenue or company will be closed. No one would cooperate on platform where you can be replaced.

The problem is that Bodega does not provide needed functionality(Or I need to make a closer look into the sources).
For example, it does not provide dependency information for assets. Its okay if you deliver books, plasmoids, one button apps, or platform have reach api and you create bundles(android and ipk). But it's not a good idea to make packages with all dependencies built in. Especially when you are on phone.
Of course that can be done, but you need a backend for that. And point that Bogema is opensource doesnt help with that. You still need to make an implementation.
I admit, that API design is a way better there, as I did not spent time on that and run as is.
May be some things can be used/integrated at openrepos.

Keep in mind, that openrepos does not targets to be a store(like google play, or windows marketplace, or whatever). Main function is a "personal repository" for your stuff. own or subscribed.

Also i'm dreaming of lightweight OBS platform:
You browsing internet, github, whatever. Found some sources, and cannot find suitable package for your device. Grab the source, or post direct link at openrepos. Your own package will be assembled, and pushed to your repository, so you can install it via warehouse.

As for functionality overlaping, consider openrepos as your last resort when you cannot publish your application elsewhere because of moderation process. If your apps are bad, no one will subscribe to you and install your apps.

Last edited by Custodian; 2013-10-24 at 08:41.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post: