View Single Post
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I'm confused by your antagonism, which seems to be driven from a lack of information. (Although you seem to be arguing that the SSU is necessary, but also unnecessary within two sentences).
I think it's necessary but undesirable. It's basically giving Nokia carte blanche to bugger off.

Firstly, it is being developed by the community; specifically MohammadAG and a few others. It's being openly discussed on IRC, and has been mentioned and discussed both in TMO and MWKN.
Being "mentioned" is meaningless. Where has it been discussed on TMO? Where are the IRC logs? Have you learned nothing about actual open development?

However, most importantly, it provides a mechanism to deliver enhancements to the numerous open source components by the community, including Nokia engineers who are no longer working on them as part of their day job.
Is this mechanism the same as has been done for Diablo?

I don't know what services you're talking about; but create such a package and either users can install it via Extras or it can be installed via the SSU. However, the scope of an SSU is to update the OS components - updating HAM or hildon-desktop via Extras is problematic.
the .deb package format has tons of "features" to address this sort of thing -- dpkg-divert, update-alternatives, etc. It is probably worth using them.

The services I'm specifically talking about are Ovi Files, Ovi Calendar, and all of the other services that either never worked with the n900, have stopped working with the n900, or have been dropped altogether.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
stenny,

do you happen to know *specifically* which web links are working/not working and where they are stored (package as well as file location)
so that this information could be put nto the SSU?
I know specifically what's broken. I'll collect filesystem info and post it somewhere.

The conduit I set up to publicise potential avenues for exploration has covered it (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6); so I'm not going to get drawn into another debate about the visibility of pieces of information to individuals who may have missed it.
I'm going to take a step back from this conversation now, and see if you can piece together the logic of throwing up two-line posts on some third-party domain nobody's ever heard of. If that's your idea of open, you've got the wrong end of the stick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stenny For This Useful Post: