View Single Post
Originally Posted by zweiblum View Post
I completely agree. Is there a way to revert this behavior to use flite again, with the current release of Mappero?
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
While I like the speech options, I really did like the old version that just piped output via a command call to flite (or eSpeak). Would it be possible to re-enable that option for those of us that prefer the older style?

"Turn right" is great, but even a robotic voice of "Turn right onto Culver Ave" is often better when I'm focusing on driving. Even if it mangles the name, I can make good guess out of say Monroe, Culver and Brooks which street I want.

Could there just be a radio-button option? Use clear speech, or use eSpeak?
Originally Posted by rlpowell View Post
That's *way* less helpful than when it used to use flite, which I made a script that used espeak instead.

With espeak/flite, it would actually say "turn right at exit 103 to Sand Hill Road", or similar. Having it just say "turn right" is almost totally useless.

Why bother? Why not just feed the whole instructions to espeak like it used to do? ;'( This is very bad I don't like it at all.

-Robin
I read through this whole thread and others. It seems these people with intelligent requests are being ignored.

As much as I approve of the novel approach to voice navigation using the voices of our community...

It is certainly in no way a replacement for detailed directions inclusive of road names and or road codes.

Google maps is putting us to shame for EG.

From my point of view it would be useful to have this feature back and or improved upon.

The ability for bikers to make use of this app with headphones alone would be excellent. But it seems to have fallen bias to visual only which is silly.

I would happily donate for a sensible resolve just not to need to carry around a small andriod phone and sim swap :/