View Single Post
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Bell and Rogers co-own a fairly vast network, but it doesn't appear to be "true" WiMAX. The Inukshuk network web page states, "This next generation IP wireless network based on pre-WiMAX standards enables portable megabit services," so that suggests that, even if you did subscribe, and you did have an N810, it might not work.
I don't have the links handy, but in my previous searches relating to Canadian WiMAX, I found a Motorola press release or two boasting of the use of Expedience to extend Internet access to the Inuit. This and a few other findings led me to propose in the "Canadian Strategy - N810 WiMAX Edition" thread that Rogers' talk of "pre-WiMAX" and "upgrading" indicates that they have been issuing dual-mode subscriber units, are currently running an entirely Expedience network, and are only just now planning a transition to WiMAX at some future date.

If this is correct, then the N810 WiMAX Edition is of no greater value in the great white north than the other tablets, and there's a good reason why we've had no hints from Nokia that Canada might be an upcoming market for their next tablety toy. Were there a ready network a few miles north, I doubt Nokia would be pinning the success of the Halloween Edition on Sprint's shaky promises here in the U.S. They created the tablet series in part to free themselves from the whims and fortunes of the American carriers, after all.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: