View Single Post
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Actually, it's an attack on the convergence claim put forth by Canonical - very little about the phone. One of the few things worse about self-congratulatory corporate press releases is people who try to use them as the genesis for a critical discussion. I mean, if you want your criticism to be taken seriously, criticize about something that is real and consequential, not the wording of a press release.
Well, I'm not sure, if Aaron Seigo deserve sush "bashing". After all, half of his (short) criticism looks quite about the merit:

Originally Posted by Aaron Seigo
We can start with the obvious clue: Unity currently does not use QML at all; Ubuntu Phone is pure QML. So, no, it is not the same code, it is not the sort of seamless cross-device technology bridge that they are purporting.

Ah, but the wording in the announcement is a bit cagey ... Perhaps if we define "same Ubuntu code" to mean "Ubuntu the distribution with all versions of the UI installed" we can cover this with a great amount of fudge factor. Perhaps Unity will eventually be merged with Ubuntu Phone, and that's what they mean by "when complete".
Later, he also explains, why he thinks what Canonical does is hurting trust presented to Free software products. Generally, his criticism is pretty valid - we don't want marketing nonsense in Free software, for that, we have Google/Apple pie.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: