View Single Post
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Multitasking, meaning you decide when your app dies, can apparently be improved using apps or xposed modules described in this xda thread. I have not tried it myself yet but will give it a go and report back. Feel free to beat me to the punch!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1396599&page=2
Ok. I tried the app Ram Manager and I did not see a significant improvement in multitasking. It is quite possible I am not using it properly or perhaps my kernel does not support some feature. But this is my general observation. I could simultaneously run 5 to 8 apps and switch between them without losing current state. The ram consumption of these apps ranged in size of 30mb to about 200 mb. On inspection it appeared that when I used these apps I had about 1/2 GB ram still available. The android os would not let me use more and would begin to kill apps to maintain this amount of "free" ram. It usually knocked off the biggest ram user that had been dormant the longest (still less than a minute in time!). I tried a swapping feature on Ram Manager but it did not help. Again maybe I did not do something right. If anyone has any ideas to try let me know. My Note edge is supposed to come with about 3gb ram but a lot of that (about 2gb) is overhead. So maybe the new phones with 6gb to 8gb recently released or are coming out soon will have much better multitasking. (assuming same criteria of .5gb is usually free for other stuff). Boosting the ram by say 3gb should allow you to easily run 15 to 20 more apps simultaneously which should satisfy most folks here. (Although few will be happy with how it is done!) I'd like to hear how some of the other phones like the Nexus and One plus perform. Please do chime in!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: