View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Don't blame U for not understanding, in South Africa we get 24months cellphone contracts, at the end of the term U automatically qualify for your next choice of any other phone free then carrg on with them for another term.
Yes, here in the Netherlands people also still fall for that misleading scheme, thinking they get the mobile very cheap or even for free.

I've always got a one-year sim-only plan. Often it's not more expensive than 2 year plans - but they always do preselect the 2-year-option, the bastards - and by law you can change contract every month after the initial contract term ended. Most of the time you can get a better offer after the first year anyway.

I've never got a mobile from a telco. Often they are ****ed up with custom firmwares, late updates (if ever) and ugly logos. So far, I've used my mobiles for longer than two years, simply because I found no need to replace them earlier. Also, I could always pick the exact mobile I like, and not only the popular stuff offered by the telco's. The N9 was never officially released here, and none of the telco's offered it. Wasn't a problem for me though.

I don't know the situation in South Africa, but here the (only) three non-virtual telco's are an oligopoly. They are not your friend. The only times they change something to benefit the customer is because of new legislation. If one year sim only contracts are too expensive in S.A., I guess you'll need some new legislation as well.

/rant

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: