View Single Post
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Speaking as someone who came to maemo from a different dying platform, I would strongly recommend that a group of people put together mirrors of the maemo repositories, to gather together all the sources, tools, packages etc that Nokia currently host.

In the zaurus community, Sharp shut down their forums and downloads, and people had to trawl the internet for random downloads people had stashed. Then, as the community began to diminish as interest fell due to people upgrading to new devices or breaking them, individual's websites and repositories dropped off. A key member of the community had a disk failure and lost a lot of his source code, and wasn't interested in restoring it.

So hence I recommend a group of people cooperate in putting together an archive, and ensure it's spread across a few mirrored servers in case of disaster, and also to hand over in case people drop out.
I like your idea but as you said

"...the community began to diminish as interest fell due to people upgrading to new devices or breaking them, individual's websites and repositories dropped off..."

You cant just force people to support outdated devices or waste time collecting garbage for an OS that is dead. Most good things are closed source anyway

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011