Thread: I love linux
View Single Post
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Sadly, there is no such thing as a universal "smart".

There are a lot of people that one could consider smart that go with windows or mac so as to avoid the sysadmin "hassle" of linux.

with those two os's they can either make an appointment at the "genius bar" (mac) or grab a friend/relative/resident sysadmin at work (windows) and have them look at the problem and come back with a fix while the "smart" person gets on with working on their focused area of interest/knowledge...

Isn't it awesome that you can just do it yourself, all you have to do is read and google you can do anything you want.

I have been using windows for a lot longer than linux (which I have been using 12 years) I do not know VB or any programming language.

I made a shell script to replace my background with to be black, start xwinwrap playing on the desktop the video from "Grateful Dead: The closing of Winterland", it also fires up xine playing gdradio. When I close xine, desktop goes back to normal pictures and stops xwinwrap. I did this in about 10 minutes and had it working great.

You call it "sysadmin "hassle"" I call it control, and I like it.

You have the same sysadmin tasks under windows, they are just not intuitive and most people have no idea how to use them. Why should I defragment my hard drive? I plugged in a usb had drive how do I use it? What is c:? What is boot.ini What is spyware?

In twelve years of using linux I hve had 1 machine get hacked and root kit placed through a ftp exploit. In that same amount of time I have fixed hundreds of windows systems loaded with spyware and trojans.

I see there are many more sysadmin hassles on windows, once you know how to use both OS's.

As for Mac's bah, give me one, I will load linux on it. I also don't want a Prius or an Iphone. I want to be cool not hip
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-06-20 at 17:25.