View Single Post
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why software changes can void hardware warranty? That was always puzzling to me. Can something actually break in the device from such thing?
Yeah, overclocking the CPU is the common excuse given even though in the rare cases that something bad happens, it's the NAND that fries. In theory you could change voltage given to any hardware component on the device and quite easily break any of them. I don't think it's ever anyone's intention though. Mostly people just like to have full control of their devices and building a linux kernel (being open source) is essential part of that.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I apologize if I don't quite understand the full meaning of your post but if you are able to provide instructions for porting Sailfish to an android phone I'd be happy to try. I have a Galaxy Note 1 and 2 and am willing to try even though it is likely that such port will have its share of problems. Anyways as I live in the US, it is unlikely a Jolla phone will be available in the near future, so this would give me an opportunity to share in the "fun". Thanks!
Pretty sure I'm the wrong guy you're asking. :P Coming from Android development I have pretty much zero experience on Sailfish OS/Mer/Nemo/etc. I'm still looking into what it would take to port Sailfish OS to other Qualcomm hardware. There's certainly not too much documentation (or open sourced device configurations) on porting e.g Mer, which is where you'd most likely needed to start.

This kernel source is useful for Jolla device only. Jolla kernel being based on a regular Qualcomm Android kernel tells us though that the Android kernel you have for your device should already be just fine for porting Sailfish OS. There's probably some config options that you need to enable as Mer requirements, but any crazy driver porting shouldn't be necessary at least on the kernel side.

Last edited by Konsta; 2013-12-20 at 19:45.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Konsta For This Useful Post: