View Single Post
I have done a bunch of searches, but can't seem to find a solution to my problem. If i missed a thread, my appologizes for the redundant post.

I just recently bought an n800 and am having a hard time getting it to play videos. Here is a brief history:

-received unit with OS 2007 on it, so i installed the PC application "Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard" and allowed it to install and upgrade my unit to "OS2008 version 2.2007.50-2".

-after upgrading to 2008, i installed serveral popular applications (canola2 beta, mplayer, skype, [attempted gizmo but it failed], and a few others - i'll try to remember more if someone thinks it's important).

-neither canola2, mplayer, or media player would play my divx files without lag/choppiness, so I downloaded "Internet Tablet Video Converter 0.24" to convert my videos so they would play back better on my unit

-after converting a wide variety of videos using that software, I tried playing my converted clips in the 3 media player apps I had. playing them in media player, i experienced the error in the subject of this thread ("Unable to perform operation. Try again."). This error would come up quite frequently in videos AND mp3 files. Tryign to play the converted files in Canola2 or mplayer was impossible - 90 percent WORSE than the uncoverted divx files.

-doing some searching on these forums i thought perhaps skype was interphering with media player (even though i hand't tried skype since i first installed it, and the n800 had been restarted several times since).

-so i wiped the unit by relaunching the nokia update wizard and allowing it to reflash my system. after this complete wipe, all my applications were gone and i had a fresh OS again

-without installing ANYTHING, i went right into media player to try to play my clips again. even with this bare fresh restart, i still get a lot of "Unable to perform operation. Try again." using media player.

So my questions are this:

1) what is causing this error in media player and how do i fix it?

2) after converting videos using "Internet Tablet Video Converter 0.24" should I be able to play my videos in canola/mplayer etc or is that converter ONLY suited for watching videos using the included "media player" application?

3) is there a better way? Should I be using some other conversion software combined with another application?

Sorry for this long winded post - I just want to be as clear as possible to hopefully find a solution!

Thanks to anyone who can offer assistance!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xhumeka For This Useful Post: