View Single Post
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Q: "i, Any plan to implement a music control through the lock screen/home screen?"

A: "1.1 has lock screen controls. It's in the top of the screen and at least I'm pleased with how nicely a nuance the controls look. Currently playing song is on big friendly letters, replacing clock when you are playing music."

Q: Konttori, is it a "feature" of the N9's amoled screen that black text on white (for example web pages) cause "bleeding" of very slightly pink lines from the text? Or is this some kind of manufacturing (or very weird software) fault?
And the weird thing is that all text on screen doesn't cause this. It is like there is a invisible line, that when it intersects with black causes the bleeding. Here's a ms paint illustration
http://bayimg.com/FaKLLaadj

A: N9 has Pentile OLED screen. You have no idea how much time I've spent taking macro photos of the sub pixel rendering artefacts. We spent a lot of time working with the display manufacturers in making the best possible sub pixel rendering for pentile. Basically, on this PPI, you cannot get traditional RGB matrig, you need to get, pentile RGBG, where B and R are 2/3 of a pixel size. Every pixel has green element and either R or B. Green controls the luminosity for the most part to human eye. As R and B are big, human eye actually even sees those pixels, and that's what you see as red bleeding on left side of sharp lines and green bleeding on right sides. Oh, crap, now I looked at you photo. No, that should not be happening to my knowledge. I'll take a look tomorrow on your example case on both displays we are shipping with (we had plenty of versions of the displays during the making on N9, some times to the better, some times to the worse)

Q: I encounter another issue relevent to N9's update mechanism for apps. I know that Nokia Store support update for apps now, however, it doesn't show in a centralized area where you can just choose update all. I have to go to All Downloads and scroll through the list to check through any updates available

Secondly, when I go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Updates, I would expect that hitting the refresh button would pull all the relevant updates in to the screen. However, that did not happen as it tells me that the device is up to date where I find so many of the apps I installed on Nokia Store already pushed for new updates.

A: Yes, that sucks. Afaik, guys are working on that for 1.2.

Q: is there any plan to implement video recording stabilization (even still)? I've seen the iPhone 4S's stabilization and it simply is amazing!

A: glad to hear that you like the post and the product. No image stabilization, it would require a gyro, which iphone has and n9 doesn't. Seems like 1.2 has some sweet camera improvements though (but no comments on what, sorry).

Q: When can we expect the firmware update to be release? I've screwed my N9 so here I'm hoping it would come as soon as possible...

A: Should come soon, afaik. There was a last minute delay just now for some really ****ed up reason (totally business reason, not SW quality).

Q: - Is the equalizer coming to the music application? N9 has a great music quality but the lacks of the equalizer is immediately felt when coming from an N91, N8 or even an iPhone, and it's a shame, i can't use my beloved N9 as my "main" music player

- No plans for an FM transmitter implementation like on the N900?

- Email client is among the best but as the N900's one, it can't recognize or handle phone numbers in the core of the email...symbian Anna has this...

- Slide to event feature is cool but when using the device with one hand it becomes tricky to do the gesture, any chance to slide vertically the event instead of slide it horizontally or let the choice to the user via an option menu on settings.

- Any camera features/fixes hints? Is zooming on video coming? Led flash on video coming?

- Intelligent speed dialing (like on N900 or Symbian^3) is coming? i don't like really like to do it from universal search application as there's no filter, i'd like to have a intelligent search for contact from speead dialing menu, i was very upset to see that my N8 has it and not my N9

- How about a bigger picture when someone is calling? we have to use this outstanding screen for something useful right? everything is swipe away ok, but it should be everything is a eyesight away

- Answering call is becoming tricky nowadays ! I like the idea to slide up then click to answer, it protects us from accidental answering, but why not making it one step task? Like slide up to answer, as simple as that

- Use more screen space to show action on call, actual size of icons/buttons don't much with the screen resolution/size, it's relatively small.

- In agenda, why not add 'tap to create an event" as on symbian^3' having to click on "+" to add an event IMHO don't stick with the "one touch" paradigm of Maemo5 and Harmattan...

- In some menu like Wifi connection or bluetooth menu, when choosing a network or device to pair with, i have to select this device and then click on "connect", why just make it a one step as on maemo5?

- How about show calendar events on lock screen when double tap, it enables to have a sneak preview of your upcoming event with just touching your device.

- On maps application, if i choose to walk or drive to a location, i can't choose from "contact" or from "my favorite" saved landmarks, for the first i have to do it from the contact application, for the second i have to do it from favorite sub-menu on the maps application...this is not the best implementation i've ever seen, even symbian did this "partially" better

That's all i want to have a perfect N9 and use it as my main device reliably

A: Dude, that's a long list. No EQ for official player, hopefully 3rd party. FM transmitter is not even possible afaik. FM receiver is possible. N9 email client should allow you to manage phone calls from emails. No hints about camera improvements. They are coming, but no comments. Pull down the contacts list in speed dial to get search field. Bigger picture would be nice. Not sure if they got it done on call ui side. Lock screen has the support for full screen avatars for incoming call. 1.2 at the earliest. Answering a call used to be a single gesture and then somebody started complaining that they don't understand how to answer with text message (swipe to the side and click on mute, then text). Anyway, I really hate the current two step approach, but it was design call. I tried resisting it on multiple occasions if that's of any consolation to you. I agree on your agenda suggestion. Dunno why it was not done like you say. I'll send an email to the architect. Next calendar events would be something to improve indeed. Won't be done however (shame). Drive and maps would benefit from that indeed.

Q: I want to know if actually its possible to sync my phone with ovi online?

It would be great if we can synch our phone by wifi!!

Anyone know if we can make vpn? or even better like logmein control our pc from internet?

Do I have to wait the update 1.1 to buy apps? When we are going to make the update, do we have to install all the apps again?

A: you can buy apps already. You can sync in wifi. VPN support will come to ovi store.

Q: Please, let us change the colour of the clock when the screen is in standby mode!

A: You need a new theme. The color and font of the clock are themed, and can be re-themed very easily. It takes 2 minutes to do. I can make an example for you tomorrow.

Q: is there any plans to let the user change the system font? Some of the messages can get very tiny and not all of us are young!

A: Themes can change the font. It's a shame ovi stoe doesn't have any yet. As a resort, you can go, set deveoper mode on and edit /usr/share/themes/blanco/constants.ini file (from top of my mind) and set the fonts there to different size, then reboot and voila. Anyway, all that should be very simple with theme.

Q: I'm a little afraid of the applications related to N9. He can really run Android applications as many people have spoken? Some basic applications like e-Buddy, Nimbuzz and WhatsUp are not yet available, could ensure that these applications will be available for N9?

A: Android compatibility is not available yet, might be, might not. You could try contacting those application developers directly, however, I would assume a port of pidgin or similar would happen pretty soon to provide whatsup level of communication.

Q: 1. Is there any upcoming changes to the Video player app itself? (such as feature or UI enhancements)

2. I use the lock code method to unlock and it's very laggy. Sometimes, it's so laggy that it can't keep up with the numbers I'm pressing. Is this being looked into?

3. Sometimes when I swipe left or right at the home screen, it can get extremely laggy and choppy. (like 5fps or worse it seems) Is this something that can be fixed or improved?

4. Can the lock screen be modified so that you can swipe off the lock screen even with non-edge swipes? It can get really annoying trying to swipe off the lock screen from the edge when using only 1 hand etc. It makes it more difficult and less comfortable to unlock. (glad I can edit the mce.ini to unlock using double-tap of the power button at least..)

5. The top status bar can get really laggy also. Even with zero apps open, the animation is often not smooth. Also, it sometimes pops up when I try to swipe top-down to close an app. It's very easy to accidently activate it. Can this be changed so the status bar drops down only when you double-tap? It would make it less prone for mistakes.

6. Will smart dial be implemented into N9? It is sooooo much easier to just find and dial someone with smart dial. Lack of smart dial is a huge minus on the N9 for me.

7. Is there any plans for updates to the N9 web browser? (such as favorites, history, options to change user agent, disable auto-rotation etc etc)

8. Is there any possibility of something like this for the N9 UI?
http://www.ideasproject.com/ideas/12435

A: 1. Video player won't have usability improvements. Better get a 3rd party app for those. It takes probably 200 LOC with qml and qt-mobility/gstreamer to create a better video player (usability wise) than the currently shipping one. It would be a nice hobby project for somebody. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly OK video player if you have 10 videos, but it certainly doesn't work well enough if you have a lot of videos.

2. On boot, the device is awfully loaded during showing of the device lock. I have done my share of complaints, but changing the boot sequence was deemed too risky to do. So, sorry, you'll be stuck with the lat at least until pr1.2.
3. Lagggy swipes in hope have been fixed for PR 1.1

4. It will need modifications to nokia proprietary code. So, no. It was done as it is, to make sure that consistency of swipe is the same always.

5. Top status bar lag has been fixed for pr1.1.

6. I have no clue what smart dial is, so, unlikely, but never say never. I don't know the finer details of the call ui.

7. Browser has been improved heavily for 1.1, but not on the UX front. 1.2 has some feature improvements.

8. It was discussed on the road, but deemed as distracting from the original concept of the recents screen. Needs changes to nokia proprietary code, so cannot be changed easily.

Q: I have a question and don't know if Konttori can help me, but my N9 when is charging don't have the withe led blinking. Only have black screen with clock. Some users reports this issue as an software bug, do you know anything about this?

A: It's an unfortunate bug that has been fixed for 1.1.
1.1 also includes a battery charging indicator in low power mode (LPM).
Wait for the update, it will fix it for you.

Q: Can we expect reliable PBAP/PBA with 1.1?
It seems to be working, but not very well:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3942

A: A lot of work has been put to better interoperability of BT with cars. I don't know of the exact model you have, but likely the situation is better in PR1.1

Q: The N9 preloaded facebook app is quite terrible. Is there comming improvemts on 1.1 or 1.2. I think that it's not possible to change "default" fb-application? even the web-version or the Fmobi works a lot of better than the native app..

A: It's much better in 1.1. I agree that the quality is sub par. It's pretty much adequate on 1.1. Not great, but OK. It's good to leave room for 3rd party apps

Q: Moved to N9 from HTC Desire and still missing two things
1. "Back". Sometimes it is arrow at bottom sometimes cancel at top.Sometimes it is missing. And my thumb is too short to reach top. Today swipe left and right has the same meaning. How about swipe to left? Or round counter clockwise - like MS undo icon hints. Then we would also have forward like redo is.
2. Pin some applications always on and top of the open app screen. Calendar is good example. other option would be able configure it visible in to events list - future events.

I'm sure that design team has discussed these to death, but...still miss them. They would not break the concept as the point has now been made - this is just so close also my idea of simplicity, but sometimes too much simplicity creates some complexity. Fine dance as you know.

A: I would have loved the carouselling apps. I think I mentioned in my blog post that it's the thing I would have changed, as it would have allowed getting rid of the back button.
We discussed the pinning several times, but deemed that would have needed one special sauce we never added to the OS. And without it, it doesn't make enough sense to do. I agree that your case makes sense. We still won't do it, but it makes sense, as it would allow widget-alike experience. Perhaps I'll have one last chat about it.

Last edited by slai; 2011-11-02 at 22:14.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post: