View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
And yet, resistive touch screens essentially require the use of both hands, unless you've mastered a very particular claw grip, or if you aren't using a stylus
Exactly, but I find it far less frustrating to use both hands and manage to do something efficient with them than be left with no choice but using fingers on a capacitive screen and be clumsy (even if I still use both hands). A lot of tasks are really very frustrating with capacitive touch, and while stylus on resistive screens requires two hands (or one hand and a table), you can just use only one and no stylus if you want.

However, you are right that not all resistive screens allow such flexibility. Many resistive screens were just terrible. I think we all have a pretty high standard in mind about resistive screens because that of the N900 was particularly good and accurate for both stylus and fingers. The delivery men's legendary resistive screens are likely a better example of what most resistive screens ever were.

The lack of required precision (except on Android with its microscopic buttons everywhere) is very useful if you aren't sitting completely still in a calm environment.
But this was particularly well done on Maemo if I recall correctly. Most buttons were large enough for fingers (remember the call application, the status bar buttons) and the form factor made it easy to reach the four corners with one thumb without impossible claw grip (opposite of the Jolla C for instance, too big for an OS based on gestures - including a swipe from top to bottom - while this was a non issue on the Jolla). Even the swirl gesture to zoom in/out was a clever one-hand feature that never was adapted to more modern OS; pinch-to-zoom is accurate but very uncomfortable with one hand (and it surely ended up in many phones being dropped on the ground!). I find it very surprising that no one seems to care about offering a better one-finger gesture for zooming, especially as it was already achieved and proved being convenient.

Yet, the stylus and keyboard provided much more accuracy and speed when necessary, which means we didn't have to compromise the experience for advanced tasks like text editing (selecting characters, managing the clipboard, changing the location of the cursors by barely moving the hand instead of reaching the screen with the thumb and struggling for 5 seconds until the random position of the cursor is the one you want, and trying to lift your thumb without changing it again...).

In the end, the keyboard/stylus/good resistive/Maemo combination was just much more potent and polyvalent, and again, I did not sigh if i had to do something a bit more advanced than just tapping with my finger on a notification to display a message.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Very interesting idea, it does sound like it could combine the best of both worlds.
If the OS is not compromising too much for making everything finger-friendly. Using a stylus on an Android or Sailfish phone to copy characters must feel just as frustrating as it is currently with fingers, if not more, and yet the solutions Google and Jolla (I prefer theirs over Google's) came with are probably the best you could imagine for selecting a series of tiny characters with big fingers obstructing the screen.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-20 at 01:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: