View Single Post
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Every time I mention the Nokia Internet Tablets — on the web or in conversation — I always describe them as running "a full Debian Linux (modified to be aware of the hardware keys)." I used to say "virtual keyboard and hardware keys" but the N810 obviates that.

This passes the truth-in-advertising test, I think. But it's not one-hundred percent true.

Sure you can take just about any Linux application and compile it so that you get something that runs on a NIT. This screenshot of the particularly idiosyncratic font-creation program Fontforge running on my N810 is proof enough for me.

Even if some apps are slow or not really suited to a tablet, I am generally tempted to say you can do anything on a NIT that you need to do on a computer.

Except you can't print.

Can't print out that email with the address and time of the meeting. Can't print that web page with the neat info. Can't print out the short notes entered on the train coming in to work. Can't print out that sketch of the new design to hand to your wife.

Supporting every printer imaginable — OK, it's not something I want to ask for. I think a "full" Linux ought to, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that's a fool's errand.

It would be nice if some apps could print to a generic inkjet or Postscript device.

See, sometimes I want to surf away from my desk, on the walkaround web.

And sometimes I want to walk around with a piece of paper in my hand.
Read the full article.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post: