View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by MoritzJT View Post
I will make a case against being able to modify SBL or partition tables from the phone in general just by being root. There should be one more layer of protection.
Being able to do it only as root is the protection, so I am against any "uber-root" hurdles you're proposing.

<rant>
The problem is that people (especially Android users, but many people on TMO as well) don't realize what it means to do stuff as root. With the power comes a great responsibility and regular users should never play with root access.

Yet there's a lot of "yo yo, I just rooted my phone, just because I can" attitude.

Just look at the "SailfishOS pre-pre-release" threads where good amount of users goes through an unnecessary risk and then is surprised when something breaks. There were plans by Jolla last summer to introduce upgrades that would overwrite the system partition so you don't have to hop over updates every time after resetting your phone, but imagine what disaster it would be if they tried to do it and bunch of users went ahead with their

Code:
for i in {1..5}; do version --dup; done # five times to upgrade all packages, because some fail to upgrade at first
routine prematurely...
</rant>

There should be no "just by being root".

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: