View Single Post
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
@HtheB The N900 is certainly sold and marketed as a phone in the UK. I'd never really heard of "Nokia Internet Tablets" until after hitting this forum and I had done some pre-purchase research.
I wonder exactly how true this is. To me, its blindingly obvious from UK marketing that the device is a tablet first and a phone second.

For example, the device summary from Vodafone:

The Nokia N900 almost makes you wonder if you need a computer.
It's got the power to take you straight to your favourite websites, apps and tracks - without annoying delays. You can set it up exactly as you like, with four home screens and no limit to what goes where.
Entertainment is covered too - with the huge touchscreen, pin sharp music player and smooth video playback.
From now on, you might want to keep your PC switched off.
Granted Vodafone may sell it in their "Phones" section, but that summary doesnt even mention the phone functionality and solely discusses it's use as a mobile computer.

Similarly, the multimultitask adverts being splashed around by Nokia/Vodafone/CPW dont even have the word phone on them, and the splash image showing 6 open apps in the task manager doesn't include the phone - From all intents and purposes from this advert, it's a landscape mobile computer, and not a phone atall.
Additionally, the first search result for "n900" in almost any search engine is the maemo.nokia.com page, at:

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Note the title of the page, and the first splash words on it, are "Nokia N900 mobile computer".
In fact, on that page, there's actually *no reference whatsoever that the device can make/receive phone calls*, the closest thing the page has is one bullet point under the "Fast wireless broadband" section that states "Quadband GSM with GPRS and EDGE", and even that doesnt confirm the device can in fact make calls, rather than just use the GSM modem as a modem.

I don't see how there can be any confusion as to what the device is marketed as.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post: