View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Call me grievious, but I actually want WP to fail, even if it means hard times for Nokia. I feel the platform has very little to offer, and is in fact contributing to the trend of the very locked down and closed mobiles as we see with iOS and BB. Even the N9 has been subjected to this trend.
Also, the lack of support for existing open protocols on WP is disturbing, as is the lack of true multitasking. Again, while the N9 is absolute king on multitasking (beats Android hands down) the N9 also lacks support for some of these protocols. True, these features won't win the hearts of the general population as they require some technical insight which that population seems to lack.

While I don't really like Google and I wouldn't call Android truly open (Android's development is quite closed, compared to Qt, Java) I would still choose it over Windows Phone in an instant.

Btw, I do wonder if the "lack of apps" is the true reason why WP isn't really selling as hot cakes. But if it is, they have a problem. WP doesn't support OpenGL ES as 3D framework. iOS, Android and Harmattan do, which makes porting 3D apps (games!) so much easier. While it would be next to impossible to run Android-apps on WP, it wouldn't be very hard to make them run on Harmattan. That might fix the "low app count", but would also damage the support for their own platform - why write a special version of an app if the Android version works too.