View Single Post
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
I ordered a Slipgrip for $29.95 plus shipping. It just arrived; I haven't put it on the car yet but I thought I'd post a quick review anyway.

First impressions: This thing is built like a rock. There are two mounting arms available, a flexible gooseneck and a solid arm with adjusting knobs. I went for the solid arm. It sticks out a long way from the windshield (the screen will be about 18cm/7in from the glass), but I like that because it'll put the phone a bit closer to me. Everything ratchets: the up/down arm, the suction-cup lock (!), and even the ball for adjusting the phone position. (It took me a minute to discover that there's a separate rotation for choosing between portrait and landscape mode.)

The clip itself is custom-designed for the N900; the top arm avoids all buttons, the sides are cut out for the charger and headphone connectors, and there's even a cutout for the camera if you're eager to shoot video on the road. (However, you would have to adjust the position a bit to keep the mount out of your shot.) You can't remove the stylus while the phone is in the mount.

Since there's a bicycle option, I did a bit of bounce testing by putting my phone in the holder and banging the mount arm against my leg. With a fairly hard whack, I was able to get the phone to bounce out and land on my carpet. So I think the bike version would be OK for road biking (though I wouldn't risk jumping railroad tracks) but probably not OK for off-road unless you wrapped something extra around it to help keep things secure.

I'm also a bit concerned about build quality. The N900-specific mount appears to be epoxied onto a standard piece, and it's kind of badly done, with the epoxy thicker on one side than the other. Only time will tell whether it'll hold up in the summer heat.

Bottom line: A bit pricey at $30, but I think it'll work out nicely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkuenning For This Useful Post: