View Single Post
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Most of what I learn about Nokia and the internet tablets comes from following links posted in blogs written by more clued-in folks. One link today was to a post about the QT Animation framework written only yesterday by Kaj Gronholm. (Neat video here.)

Another link I tripped over was much older. And so I just learned today that the CEO of Nokia was being interviewed on YLE (the Finnish national broadcasting corporation) almost six weeks ago when he let drop that, why, yes, Nokia is thinking about making laptop computers.

As Reuters blandly noted, rumors about such a move have been floating around since "late last year," but CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo's on-air "comment was the first official admittance of such plans."

Determining the role that the Internet Tablet will play in the cellphone maker's future has been nigh unto impossible to ken.

After all, Nokia will have to have an iPhone simulacrum and having that complicates the tablet position. And if Nokia is going to reverse-traverse Apple's computer-to-phone trajectory, well, there are plenty of complications in separating out the tablet, UMPC, netbook, ultraportable and notebook niches even before you throw phone connectivity into the mix.

What can I say? We live in interesting times.
Read the full article.

Last edited by RogerS; 2009-04-10 at 23:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post: