Thread: Anki for N900?
View Single Post
I am not sure if anyone already mentioned that, but did you consider installing anki via apt?

Theres an anki port in extra devel. Given the fact that the stable version of anki for i386 clients 1.0.1 is only slightly older than version 1.0 avaible in the extra devel repo, it seems to me as a fair compromise.
Moreover it works perfectly. You can download public staples, learn and so forth.
Give it a try. I recommend ankiqt.
The two other packages "ankimaemi and anki" dont work. Ankimaem gives a crude traceback error and the package "anki" as such just seems to be a meta package. Im not sure, but its rather small (100 kbyte) and cannot be started. Maybe the backend.
Anyway, i would try ankiqt.

Sincerly
midori

Edit:
Well after a night of testing the anki applications available in the official repositories, i think i have to revoke some of my statements.
First of all, at the moment there are three different packages which can be started.
Ankimaemi - nevertheless it cant be started; gives a traceback error.
Anki - can be started as root in the shell by executing "anki"
Ankiqt - can be started as normal user in the shell by executing "anki"
Ankiqt is a optimized version for maemo 5 and it barely works. You can start the application and you can access some menus - Thats it. If you want to download a staple or import one, it will crash.
So i recommend "root-anki". "root-anki" is a perfect clone of the original anki. It has the same gui, the same options (downloading staples, creating staples, reviewing; basicly everything) and so forth.
But of course the disadvantage is obvious: It`s not optimised for Maemo 5.
In my point of view "root-anki" is still a good application - it works and its possible to access every part of the application without any bigger problems.
Therefore I reccomend "root-anki".

Sincerly
midori

Last edited by midori; 2010-12-29 at 11:41.