View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I think ivgalvez means that people working on porting some Maemo bits (dialer) to Neo900 ...
I don't know of any such project of "porting dialer". The idea is 180° the opposite,
we're NOT "porting" any Nokia bits, we create a system environment where "non-ported" original Nokia bits as well as all other apps from extras* will happily run. User will install those "non-ported" original Nokia bits like dialer to her system,
the FPTF is not involved in that. Not at all. So where's the problem?
If we were planning to "port" anything from fremantle closed bits or extras repos to Neo900, we could happily discard our idea of keeping binary compatibility and just as well go straight for OMAP4 and 3.11 mainline kernel with FSO as middleware and forget about any closed blobs, and in the end why not forget about maemo at large and recompile everything in extras for debian or even - hey - for harmattan and cordia.
But we decided not to do that, and rather write FOSS replacements or compatibility layers around new incompatible kernel properties to ensure the above mentioned absolute binary compatibility. And of course many of those FOSS replacements will be usable on N900 as well, thanks to that binary compatibility. See my suggestion to develop and test fsogsmd modem "driver" (replacement for csd nokia blob) on N900 with a USB UMTS stick. Thus maintenance and development for N900 will see a boost rather than a fading-away thanks to Neo900 and FPTF project.

[offtopic] I won't even try to start on explaining what's incorrect statements and missconceptions about CSSU in the above posts. There are better places to discuss this, and actually it's been discussed and explained ad nauseum, and no repeating of incorrect assertions will make them any correct. Just so much: each user and each devel has freedom of choice, and that ends only where it limits somebody else's freedom of choice. Devels have freedom to choose between proper packaging (that allows users to have their freedom to choose whether or not to use that package) and botchy lazy packaging. Lazy packaging will not be supported by CSSU.[/offtopic]

And now could we please "clear the channel" for the technical discussion how to implement that binary-compatible fremantle on Neo900? Thanks a lot!
I'd really like to see these "legal" concerns getting discussed somewhere else, not here. It distracts devels from what they prefer to do: find technical solutions for technical problems.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-21 at 14:22.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: