View Single Post
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Why, because you love test/sample programs of alsa-lib that much? Quantify the number of users that might be running the test sample programs of alsa-lib versus the amount of effort it will take to add the ioctl to the audio device. Oh, and please also quantify the additional code bloat and possible interactions with other functionality. Do you have any clue of the details? If not then I would say your anger is misplaced. There is such a thing as return on investment that everyone has to decide. In any case, the kernel is open, download it and add the ioctl required.

Frank
1. I don't recall expressing such anger.

2. I do not "love" 'test/sample programs of alsa-lib'

This is my first attempt to write any code for the device. I've spent the last three weeks trying to figure out why other people are able to write code that produces sound and yet my efforts to compile and run the simplest code I can find have me completely stumped.

3. I personally do not know whethor this is a kernel bug or is instead something simple in the sample code that I do not understand.

4. No ... I have no idea of what 'ioctl' is needed. I do not understand why one simple program does not work.

At one point, I managed to get sound from the headphone jack while struggling with alsa-lib in Mer, but not from the internal speaker. I have not been able to figure out what it was that made it work that time, and have yet to be able even to reproduce that.

I've been trying to get assistance from the alsa-devel and pkg-alsa-devel mailing lists, but have not yet succeeded.

I was really hoping that somebody would look at the report and say 'oh, all you need to do is use ____ instead of "default"'.

I'm not trying to express anger. I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong.

If somebody could please direct me to the appropriate place for asking my question, I would be most grateful.